Friday 11 October 2013

In mourning for my foundation




It is on a note of sadness that I return to my blog after a year long hiatus.

I had a very distressing morning. My foundation did what it had been threatening to do for some time now and finally stopped dispensing any foundation. I whacked and whacked it upside down on my hand and ended up with nothing but a bruised palm.

It's just such an upsetting time. In some ways I wish I hadn't discovered the wonders of Nars Sheer Glow foundation many years ago as I wouldn't have to fork out £30 when the inevitable happens, but it is just so beautifully silky and makes my skin look presentable even when my pores are desperate for a good seeing to. And to be fair one bottle does last me around 3 months so I think that more than justifies its price tag.


Why is it though that I never buy a replacement of what is essentially my complexion in a bottle when I realise it may be on the out, and save myself the subsequent panic when I realise that the world will have to endure my natural face for the day? That would be too sensible, I like to live on the edge.

It was probably time for a shade change anyway. When I purchased my last bottle I had recently returned from travelling and was thrilled to go from my usual shade of Mont Blanc (really pale) to Deauville (a darker shade of pale), but once the "tan" had faded (after about a week) I could sense my skin was crying out for Mont Blanc again. So I silenced it with some fake tan for a while.

Until I can be bothered going all the way into to the city centre to replace my Nars, I'm cheating on Sheer Glow with this cheaper Rimmel Lasting Finish 25 hour foundation, a cheap thrill at £7. I hope it can forgive the infidelity.


My little bit on the side is actually proving to be quite the mistress. It is feeling slightly heavier on the face and is of a thicker consistency but so far its staying power is something of a revelation, I really do think it could keep going all night.

25 hours though? Is that really necessary? It's the foundation equivalent of Sting.

As of tomorrow I will be letting Nars give me back my Sheer Glow but for tonight I'm taking Rimmel's Lasting Finish out for a night on the cocktails. Let's hope it ends well...