Friday 19 September 2014

What happened to men you say? What the hell happened to women?!…

As women of the 21st century we often question what has become of men. We pine for the chivalrous and well dressed men of yesteryear who will hold open our door and be delighted with nothing more than a kiss at the end of a night.  Recently however I have found myself wondering what also has become of women? What happened to the elegance of women such as Lauren Bacall and Ava Gardner, the golden days when Rita Hayworth slowly removing a long sleeved glove was deemed provocative? These days we can't turn the page of a magazine without being subjected to a pair of famous nipples or a celebrity crotch. We've become so desensitised to risque dressing that it's merely a matter of time before one of them strolls bollock naked down a red carpet. My money's on Rihanna…

This brings me to the reason I felt compelled to write about this. The new Jennifer Lopez and Iggy Azalea collaboration "Booty". I had a vague idea of what to expect as I fired up my laptop to watch the sexually charged video but this was beyond ridiculous. Needless to say my reaction grew from slightly unimpressed to rather annoyed with every frame. Maybe the narrative went over my head but it goes something like, J-Lo shakes her arse, Iggy shakes her arse, Iggy and J-Lo rub their arses together, oh then they're soaking wet (but still shaking their arses) for no good reason… 



I have read many articles recently about the continual objectification of women, but I find it difficult to berate men for objectifying us when women in positions of power are consistently putting out imagery which essentially asks them to do just that. I understand and wholeheartedly agree that women should have the freedom to do whatever and dress however they want, permitting it is legal, but at what point is it female empowerment as opposed to objectification? I'm at a loss to see how this is supposed to be empowering for women.


I'm all for celebrating the female form and believe that nudity when done tastefully can be beautiful (I also agree with R Kelly that there ain't nothing wrong with a little bump and grind…) but I can certainly think of better ways for Jennifer to showcase her beautiful behind than to bend over legs akimbo, douse said behind in water and shake it like a sopping dog.

Men innately are primal beings; man sees pie, man wants pie. They are only deserving however of a slice of the pie, potentially even just a slither, until said pie receives the appreciation it deserves. But when women in the media kick up a fuss about being seen as merely breasts and an arse with a body attached and then put out 'art' such as this music video, they are in effect serving up the whole pie on a big shiny platter and then kicking off when men devour it. 



There is no doubt that the video was created entirely with a male audience in mind but even the lyrics have a lot to answer for. Admittedly with the title 'Booty' I wasn't expecting one of Shakespeare's sonnets set to a hip-hop beat (as far as I'm aware The Bard never had a penchant for romanticising the larger bottomed lady) but after the furore over 'Blurred Lines' and its alleged date-rape undertones, I am rather surprised that more of a fuss hasn't been made over the lines "you wanna meet her, you gotta touch her" and then even more excruciating; "Go on let them jeans touch you while you're dancing. It's his birthday, give him what he ask for."

So what Ms Lopez is basically saying is that if some creep starts rubbing his crotch on your arse whilst you're dancing don't worry your pretty little head,  just let him because it means that he thinks you're attractive and surely that's all you've ever wanted in life?…

Jen, you're better than this. Sort it out.